Disclaimer

Do your homework before you invest. I am not a professional. I just enjoy investing. I am often wrong.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Final 2011 Purchase

I think I am going to add a little NOK to close out 2011

That will bring my portfolio entering 2012 to this:

RIMM
GRMN
AFAM
RWC
LUV
BAC
BKS
GM
AMED
NYT
TFM
NOK

Nokia has $60 bn annual revenues, is profitable, trading at about $20bn market cap, and has a good balance sheet. The risk outweighs the reward, and the trade was too good to pass up. Also, it should see a nice bump in early 2012 because of tax loss selling.

I was trying really hard to convince myself to buy NFLX, but I can't justify it because although I think they have a lot of potential I don't know enough about their streaming contracts and obligations ($3.5 billion worth!). But that is a tax loss candidate too so I may pick up a small portion and sell it again in the first couple of weeks of January.

edit: It looks like I have a slightly incorrect notion of tax loss selling, per this article here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/exploiting-december-tax-loss-selling-2011-12-01

It's more for small caps than for billion-dollar companies. I'm not going to buy any of the stocks he mentioned because I don't know enough about them, but I'll go back at the end of January to see if they experienced a bump.

No comments:

Post a Comment